Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Take Control of your Health. Live The Best Quality of Life

Vacation part 2 is now coming to a close and it has been like night and day as far as health is concerned. We are in a small town where the awareness of health is just a dim light. It is mostly made up of retired people who are set in their ways about eating and living. This has caused angry feelings in my body through out the week but culminated last night in a conversation with my dad. That led me to write about this once again.
Dad and I were discussing a couple of close friends that had either died or suffered painful strokes or anurisms. I felt sympathy towards these people but what really got me going was that my dad's response was "Really gotta live for today". Now generally I would commend such a statement and would actually encourage that to live for the moment. However, in this conversation this seemed like another ignorant remark disregarding any notion that the disease these people suffered and died from had anything to do with their health.
Around ninety percent of physical problems leading to death are induced by the foods we eat and the lifestyle we live. I am so shocked when I hear people like dad give no recognition that diet and lifestyle has anything to do with it. I have come to realize that people are very set in their ways and that the culture of the past generation has pointed to other things to sustain health. Unfortunately most of us know that this is not working. Where is the cure for cancer, aids, and so on? And things are just getting worse. I would have thought that if someone close to me dies to cancer or heart attack that I would take a look at my life.
Perhaps some people think that is just the way it is. Perhaps because most of all deaths are caused by cancer and heart conditions, it just seems to people common place. But there is a sense of helplessness in the air and that just isn't true.
You can take control of your health, you can decide the quality of life. You may not be able to know when you die but we do have control, to some extent, of the quality of life we have before we die. And chances are we will live and enjoy life longer and have a more peaceful death.
My grandmother just died last month and although it was sort of peaceful, I know that the last few months (and years for that matter) were quite painful. We don't have to live like that. The benchmark of the Hallelujiah Acres company is based on this one quote. "YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE SICK".

No comments: